Red Markets: The Grapevine – Episode 1

Welcome to Grapevine, a Texas megamall turned Enclave. In this episode, we meet our Taker crew Tiburon Unlimited and follow them on their first job. Like all good jobs, complications abound. Welcome back to the table with Shaun and B-sides alum Greg, and welcome new players Kristi and Adam!

David’s GM Note: I played with a variation on the complication, where each job’s additional twist was dictated by the success of the negotiations. Here we see the first effects of my house rule “Mo’ Money, Mo’ Problems”

13 comments for “Red Markets: The Grapevine – Episode 1

1. March 22, 2018 at 4:11 pm

very much looking forward to hearing this tomorrow, and David’s running it? We get to see yet another take on RM which is always appealing.

Post every episode of this as fast as possible! ๐Ÿ˜€

• David
      March 22, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Yep, I’m in the big chair this time. Cat on my lap, even! (Apologies for the jingling bell you will hear, but the cat is adorable and he loves that bell)

Greg had played in my one-shot at Springfield G.A.M.E. and liked the idea of a campaign. Shaun is a Red Markets veteran (as we know) but this was the first exposure for Adam and Kristi.

• March 23, 2018 at 5:13 am

Excellent. Listening to this today. I expect to hear that all characters named after purple survive.

2. March 23, 2018 at 4:14 pm

this was a great game. I’m pretty cool with that bust rule overall, the ending was quite tense and even after that it still had a horrible element to it. The best part was that the job side of things itself was rather easy by comparison to the incident.

Worked out quite well, I’m looking forward to more already.

3. A Whiteman
    March 26, 2018 at 6:05 am

Excellent! Looking forward to hearing from more RM!

4. Aston W
    May 4, 2018 at 3:40 pm

I really enjoyed this AP David. Just checked and realized that there are now 7 episodes to listen to. David is a really complex DM. And of course a Method Actor.

• David
      May 7, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Thank you, Aston!

I tried to make this a fun experience for my new players, whilst still being a good listen for RM veterans. I’m glad you’re enjoying so far. ๐Ÿ™‚

The hardest part of being the market in any RM game is the references and pulling NPCs out of the aether and somehow making them fit. Crusader Billy-Bob, for instance; I had no idea he’d even work, much less be a player (and listener) favorite.

5. Aston W
    June 24, 2018 at 1:58 pm

I’m going to listen to the whole campaign in detail to mine for Casualty jokes.

Will not steal jokes made in game. Not a Taker. Love the Mall setting. We call them shopping arcades.

6. Stephen O
    August 8, 2018 at 2:44 am

What was happening in the combat with the vector? It sounded like no Athletics rolls were made to avoid the attacks.

• David
      August 8, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Correct. In the first round, the rooftop Vector had surprise because both of the team failed their Awareness checks. Then Cross crit-succeeded his shot and hurt it, while Vicki hit max damage to do 10 killing to Cross’s leg. Once all hit boxes on the leg are full, no Athletics checks are possible.

My apologies, I should have made that a little more clear. The reason for the lack of dodge checks is not an oversight, it is that by the time Cross *could* have dodged, he was physically unable to do so, because bullet.

• Stephen O
        August 8, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Ha!
        Nice. Thanks.

7. Jason Carter
    September 29, 2018 at 4:04 pm

wow now i’m sorry i put off going through this AP series for so long. WOW!! fantastic start to the story. great now the rest of my weekend is grapevine.

• David
      December 6, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Thank you, Jason. ^_^

I hope you have as much fun listening as we did recording them.